Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Lhasa - Kathmandu

In September 2011 the Trikes on the Roof of the World expedition will take place. The all disabled team of Carol Hurst and Paul Pritchard will attempt a traverse, by tricycle, of the ‘Friendship Highway’ between Lhasa in Tibet and Katmandu in Nepal. We will be recording the crossing on film. This epic ride rarely drops below 4000 meters and, as we traverse from Tibet to Nepal, our journey will cross eight high passes, three above 5000 meters. Our journey will cover 1000 kilometers and cross the Himalayan chain only 50 kilometers to the north of Mount Everest (8848m). Besides Everest other Himalayan giants encountered will be Choy Oyu (8201m) and Shishapangma (8014m).

The team will make the journey in the northern hemisphere’s autumn - post monsoon and pre winter and plan to complete the ride in 36 days. This will ensure a dry but cold expedition. The road surface is 75% reasonable sealed road with the other 25% mud packed, the roughest section being in Nepal, where we will face 4500 meters of down-hill - the longest descent in the world. We will also be attempting the grueling 100 kilometer ‘side’ trip to Everest Base Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment